In the following picture the double mainline can be seen looping above the helix. Getting the elevations right for this loop turned out to be fairly since I had detailed elevation measurements from the trackplan. All the elevations on the trackplan were with respect to the top of the benchwork. I measured up the amount of the elevations above the benchwork on the wall, and made a mark. Next I broke out my self-leveling laser line level to match that mark. I then held a ruler above the actual location and was able to determine the exact height of the riser by where the laser line was hitting the ruler. After the risers were in place the wood subroadbed was cut and then put in place. The results can be seen below:
Here is another pic a little further down the benchwork. As you can see I have started the cork roadbed and getting ready for the track laying. I actually had to lay the track coming from the helix to the branchline before the benchwork for the double mainline in the previous picture was put into place.
The following pic shows the some more of the complete main level benchwork. Also, if you look closely I have mounted the front fascia for the lower staging level to give things a more finished look. It will be painted green later on.
This picture gives you a closer look at the different mainline elevations above the helix. Couldn't imagine doing this without a detailed trackplan with exact measurements, be it a trackplan out of a magazine or book, or one drawn up on a CAD package.
This final pic shows the rest of the cork roadbed in place on the branchline return loop. It will more than likely be up and running before the mainlines, as those will require some bridge construction that I haven't started yet.
Until next time.........