With all the track in place on the lower staging level, it is time to start getting the electrical in place for the layout. Here are some of the details of what I'm planning to use:
- Pyramid PS14KX 13.8VDC 14A Power Supply (For DCS100 and one booster)
- Radio Shack 12VDC 1.75A Power Supply (For Digitrax DS64 Turnout Decoders)
- Digitrax DCS100 Command Station
- Digitrax UR92 Duplex Panel with DT402D Throttle
- 2 Digitrax PM42 Power Controllers (1 Per level)
- 2 Digitrax AR1 Auto-Reverse Controllers (1 Per level)
- 14AWG Solid Wire for Main DCC Bus Power
- 20AWG Solid Wire Feeders from Track to Main DCC Buses & Turnout Machines to Digitrax DS64 Stationary Decoders
- Numerous Terminal strips and plenty of fuses in the right places!
I'm trying to make everything as accessible as possible for ease of installation and maintenance, yet still keeping things out of the way. I got the idea to use foldaway mounting boards for the PM42s and DS64s from Bruce Faulkner's CSXT Shenandoah Division N scale layout, and I'm using something similar on mine.
Here you can see the beginning step of getting the lower level PM42 and AR1 wired up. Yes, I am using 14 ga. wire soldered to the PM42 connector. A little tricky, but doable. Be sure to use heatshrink!
Here you can see a closeup of the board mounted to the layout. Once complete the board will fold up out of the way, making things look neater under the layout:
Here is one final shot of the power station area of the layout. Just getting started, plenty more wiring to do!